Student Language Packs
Partner Training Challenges
Employees Are Unknown
No Management Command
Employees Working Multiple Locations
Owning Multiple Units
Supported By Multiple Field Organizations
Unique Business Model
Client Case Studies
The Latitude Difference
Awards & Recognitions
LMS Add-On Subscriptions
Getting Started Guide
FREE Getting Started Webinar
Instructors and Managers
Training Resource Library
R & D
Enhancements In Development
Training Resource Library
Instructor Role - Access Rights and Functionality
LMS users who teach instructor-led courses should be assigned the Instructor role. This key Role allows them to manage course enrollments, interest lists, classroom offerings and rosters. Instructors can also assist administrators in managing classroom training facilities, rooms and equipment within their assigned organization.
How to Add an Instructor
six minute video
, and the reference guide below, demonstrates how Portal Administrators add the Instructor Profile to an existing LMS user. Continue reading for an overview of the access rights and functionality built into the Instructor role, and how they are used to facilitate LMS training.
Portal Administrators promote users to Instructors by selecting, from the left navigation menu,
Users => Add Instructor
, or by manually adding the Role to a user’s profile.
Here are the key parameters that appear on the Add Instructor form. Please note that asterisks (*) in the form indicate a required field.
: The first required field prompts a
Select a User
picker, which requires that the person being added already exists as a user in the system
: Use the
picker to assign physical and virtual facilities from which the user will teach
: Required field for designating all the languages in which the instructor can teach.. Note: Instructors can only be assigned courses that match these language selections.
: Internal note fields seen by administrators only
: Use the
picker to assign classes that the instructor will teach
: Internal note field seen by administrators only
An instructor’s User Details page includes an additional “Instructor Profile” tab, where they can manage all of their instructor-related information. Portal Administrators will find this tab as part of their Profile Management view. Instructors must go to the left navigation menu and select
Users => Search Instructors
to view/edit their own and others’ Instructor Profile.
Instructor Access Rights
When viewing the linked
, you can see that having the Instructor role opens access to LMS configuration options and administrative tools focused on the following areas:
– View, approve or deny queued course enrollment, interest list and user self-registration requests for organizations and employees you oversee.
– View and administer training program Goals (Certifications and/or Curriculums) for students you manage.
– View courses made available to your assigned organization. Use the Enroll Others feature to assign coursework to students individually or in batches.
- Schedule when and where Classroom or Virtual Classroom courses are offered. Enroll users in Offerings, and after the class, manage Rosters to record attendance for students’ training history.
– Define user visibility and access to classroom course offerings.
– Create and manage the set of Facilities servicing your training areas. Designate rooms and equipment to facilities, which are then reserved when a classroom Offering is scheduled.
– Utilize demand forecasting and track recorded interests in courses or offerings that may not be available to certain sets of users in your LMS. This feature could help you determine when and where to create offerings.
– Report on course consumption, as well as compliance driven enrollment and completion activity.
– View the catalog of documents, media files and links designed to support students throughout the learning process.
– Employ the “View Home Page” or “Impersonate” option to navigate the LMS from the viewpoint of any user you oversee as an Instructor. You can also transact activities on another user’s behalf (such as launching a course, running a report, viewing subordinate employees, and checking pending approvals) in order to troubleshoot issues and provide first-line user support.
– View an employee’s basic account information, User Group assignments and Training History on demand.
– Manage Instructor Profiles to include the list of courses these users are authorized to teach and the facilities they use most often.
Examples of these administrative views and functions have been provided below. Please click on the linked titles to find more information on these topics.
Manage Approvals for Course Enrollment and Interest Lists
Create and Manage Classroom Course Offerings
Process Rosters for Classroom Offerings
In summary, the Instructor role allows a user to manage all student, classroom and facility-related functions for the organization for which they have responsibility.
However, the scope of access for this role varies greatly depending on the task being performed. For instance, an Instructor with a profile tied to a location will find that approvals, course search, and user search are all tied to their Location. Facility management, interest approval, and resource search are tied to the Business Unit level. Offerings, instructors, and some reports can be searched across the entire Company; but can only be edited with user, course, or facility information tied to the Business Unit/Location/Locale assigned to said Instructor. It is important that your instructors understand how the LMS works and which duties they are authorized to perform.
How to Add an Instructor
LMS Roles and Their Functions
Create and Manage Class Offerings
Conduct Online Meetings and Webinars via Course Offerings
Enrolling Others in Coursework
Create Distribution Lists for Classroom Course Enrollment
Utilize Wait Lists for Classroom Course Enrollment
Send Class Reminders and Announcements
Process Rosters for Course Offerings
Add Student Training History for Past Course Offerings
Manage Approvals for Enrollment, Interest, and Self Registration
Using LMS Data Pickers
Solutions to Common Problems Launching Courses
Impersonate Others to Troubleshoot LMS Issues
LMS Support page