This seven minute video, and the reference guide below, demonstrates how Portal Administrators can add new users to the LMS.
When it comes time to create a user in your LMS portal, it’s as simple as clicking Users => Add User from the left navigation menu. Here are key parameters that appear on the Add User form.
Please note that asterisks (*) in the form indicate a required field.
- Username: The system requires a unique username for each user record in the LMS. Therefore, you may want to consider using the person’s email address or establishing a naming convention for this criteria (e.g. company name_first initial, last name). This can also help you identify a particular user's record at a glance. Field character limit: 100.
- First Name and Last Name are required fields.
- Email: It is important to register a regularly accessed email account, as the LMS uses this email address for a range of system generated notifications (e.g. enrollment notification, waitlist confirmation, etc) and communications from administrators.
- Preferred Language: The LMS supports Canadian French, Mexican Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese and other translations! Select the user's preferred language.
- Organization: New user profiles must be assigned to a Location within the organization hierarchy. This ensures that the user can successfully log into the LMS and that authorized administrators will be able to impersonate this user during support activities.
- Position: The LMS uses Position assignment to define a hierarchical reporting structure in your portal. Please note that additional positions can be assigned to a Profile after the User is created.
- Password: Administrators can enter a predefined password, or have the system auto-generate a new password by checking the appropriate box.
- Notify User: When “Yes, notify user of the new account” box is checked, the system will automatically send the user an email with their new credentials and instructions on how to access the LMS.
- Effective Date and End Date - These dates represent the effective date range for a user's master record in the LMS. They may differ from Profile Effective and End dates, which control the user's profile at a given work location. The master user record is typically end-dated (resulting in an Inactive User status) only upon overall termination of the employee from the organization. Effective Date can be set for a future date if desired, and it is not necessary to populate and End Date during setup.
- Phone number and address information is optional.
Clicking Add User will complete the creation of the new user account. A pop-up window will then appear asking if you have finished, would like to continue editing the account, or want to add another user.
All new users are created with the default role “Student”, an assignment that controls access rights in your portal. If you want to add instructor, manager or other roles to a user’s profile, you will need to continue editing.