Message received! You asked for more flexibility in managing event-driven system messages and that's why we have introduced the ability to customize your message content and its "look and feel" by organization.
Originally, each LMS message uses the same message template for all users in all organizations in your portal. An HR Manager at corporate would get the same Course Completion message as a Technician in your manufacturing division. If your organization provides unique training programs for multiple clients, the messages they receive could not be customized in a way that best suited each client.
This enhancement changes all of that! Portal administrators are able to modify each message's content and branding, using current HTML options, for any number of organizations – or none at all if the default company-wide version is sufficient.
Messages customized at upper-level organizations such as Company, Business Unit, and Division will be inherited by the organizational levels beneath them unless specifically changed at a lower level. When an event triggers a message, the LMS will determine the recipient’s location and look up the hierarchy to find which version to deliver.
We are deploying this enhancement in two phases. The release contains Phase I, with enhancements to the Site Management > Edit Messages workflow. Phase II, in development, will update Organization records with new Message-related tabs for access to messaging directly from that organization.
This is an overview of the enhancements released in Phase I.
A new column Customized on the Edit Messages list displays Yes/No indicators to identify messages that contain at least one customized organization. This includes the Company level if you customized the message currently in use.
Interactive Organization Selection
When you select the Customize button for a message, a new popup displays your entire organizational structure with expand/collapse controls and each organization labeled (Default) or (Custom) depending on its customization status.
- Select the top level to customize the Company-level message. This is a new intermediate step to the current practice which by design only allows Company updates.
- Select a lower level to modify that organization, keeping in mind that any organziations in the hierarchy below it will inherit its content.
- A Customize checkbox allows you to quickly filter to only those organizations or hierarchy levels containing customized messages.
- The Customize button directs you to the Message Customization page for the selected organization.
Message Customization Page
Most of the features on this familiar page work just as they always have with the exception of a few changes.
- Organization identifies the specific organization being modified.
- Copy Default Template restores the Latitude original default message to the selected organization and any relevant subordinate levels.
- Delete Customization removes changes to the selected organization’s message, reverting it to the default message or inheritance of customizations from an upper level.
- Copy Parent Template becomes available if upper level organizations contain customizations different from those at the one selected. It will clear the current customization and apply that of the customized parent.
- Submit saves and applies any changes.
Keep up-to-date with Phase 2 of this enhancement and all our improvements and updates by checking out our R&D Blog and our bi-weekly Release Notes. We will cover all of the changes coming in Phase II in a later article.