Sprechen Sie / Parlez-vous / ¿Habla usted SCORM? LatitudeLearning has something new for you and your learners! We have enhanced the eLearning SCORM deployment process to allow portal administrators to associate multiple SCORM packages in different languages to a single course. These courses may be authored independently and deployed to the desired language at the time of upload. The enhancement also includes an option to have the system clear any existing SCORM CMI data for users who are still in-progress in an older version of the course. This prevents synchronization errors when their current progress bookmarks become invalid with the new content. At the time of course launch, learners will be able to select the language in which they want to complete the content.
This enhancement does not impact the function of your current courses nor will it affect courses for which language selections and translations are built directly into a single SCORM package using the authoring tool. Simply load your content, as usual, under one language and continue to let learners select their language choices inside the course. All existing eLearning courses in your portal will be defined as English by default.
Here is an overview of the key changes we made in this enhancement.
Deploying SCORM Content
Deployment options related to this enhancement are on the SCORM tab for courses with Delivery Method = eLearning. Changes to note are:
- Language: Contains a drop-down list of available deployment languages. Select the Language related to the SCORM package prior to deploying it. Note that the LMS will not validate the language chosen to ensure it is the language used in the course.
- Clear Progress: Select this flag to clear the SCORM CMI data for users who are currently in-progress in a previous version of the course. This eliminates potential synchronization errors in the progress bookmarking between the old and new versions. Use this, as desired, any time you load new content in any language to clear user CMI data.
- Manifest Load Date: This date, shown after deployment is complete, has moved from this section to the Manifest List section to represent the various load dates of all language versions in place.
SCORM Test Launch
The SCORM tab Test Launch feature remains unchanged except for a new language selection. Choose the language to apply to the test launch.
We altered this section on the SCORM tab to show individual entries for each available language-specific SCORM package. Portal administrators can now remove a SCORM manifest for a particular language. This is also where the manifest load date is maintained per deployed package. Removing SCORM content will not be necessary prior to uploading new versions of the package. Any removals must be done with care to prevent learners with in-progress statuses from receiving errors that the course has no content.
When learners enroll in and launch a course with multi-language options, they will need to select the language in which they want to view the course from a pop-up page. Once they begin a course in one language, if they exit the course and re-launch it at a later time, they should select the same language during relaunch. Choosing a different language version from the original selection will result in the loss of all bookmarked progress and they will need to complete the full course again in the new chosen language.
SCORM-related System Messages
We updated the existing SCORM deployment success and failure messages to indicate the relevant SCORM Package Language version. This is pulled from a new message parameter [PackageLanguage]. The enhancement includes two new messages:
- Course - SCORM Content Deletion Failed: Notifies a portal administrator when the SCORM manifest they tried to remove was not successful.
- Course - SCORM Content Deletion Succeeded: Notifies a portal administrator when the SCORM manifest they tried to remove was successful.
Keep up-to-date with the status of this enhancement and all our improvements and updates by checking out our R&D Blog and our bi-weekly Release Notes.