Training is key! The 8 evolutionary training milestones
Jeff Walter | Posted Friday, September 29, 2017 |
Training is the best predictor of how a channel partner will perform
Training is the #1 strategy any organization can do to increase performance; therefore, training is KEY!
However not all training programs are created equal and they certainly have different levels… but one thing is certain: Training is the best predictor of how a channel partner will perform.
The value and benefits of training in your channel organization will make channel staff members more efficient while increasing productivity, revenue and profits. Where compliance and regulations are required, effective training is essential. Over the years, Latitude has identified how training programs go through an evolutionary climb to greater success. In our Channel Performance Roadmap we have identified and classified each milestone along the organization’s growth.
Compliance oriented training
Compliance oriented training programs are those in which the training is suggested or mandated by the organization, its partners, industry associations, governments or other entities. Compliance training generally focuses on the organization's policies, industry standards, laws, regulations and rules. The primary goal of compliance training is to ensure the student is aware of and compliant with the appropriate policies.
The impact of the compliance training on performance while positive is often a secondary consideration and usually not measured.
There are four types of compliance oriented training (labeled 1-4 on the figure above):
- Training library: A catalog of courses available to students It is up the student to enroll in the courses; training administrators may suggest but do not assign training. The purpose of this type of training program is to provide partner staff with access to training.
- Partner onboarding: A formal training program for new channel partners and their initial staff. Once a new partner is onboarded there is no required ongoing training. Ongoing partner staff training is left to the discretion of the partner. The purpose of this type of program is to successfully add a new partner to sales or service channel.
- Staff onboarding: A formal training program for new channel partner staff. Ongoing staff training is left to the discretion of the partner. The purpose of this type of program is to quickly ramp up new partner staff.
- Goal-based training: Provides ongoing prescriptive training goals for partners and their staff. The purpose of this type of program is to ensure partners have the necessary set of skills and their staff’s skills and knowledge is current.
Performance oriented training
Performance oriented training programs focus on impacting to the bottom line. Performance oriented programs also incorporate the Learn-Do-Teach model of mastery into their training programs. That is, they go beyond simply acquiring knowledge to include skill proficiency and knowledge sharing.
A key element of performance oriented training programs is the ongoing analysis of the performance of trained vs untrained partners and staff.
There are four types performance oriented training programs (labeled 5-8 on the figure above):
- Performance-based training: A goal-based training program that focuses maximizing the performance difference between “trained” and “untrained” partners and staff by analyzing the relationship between training and performance. Often these programs will include skill proficiency metrics to measure knowledge mastery.
- Incentivized training: Now that value of “trained” vs. “untrained” partners and staff has been established through the Performance-based training program, the focus shifts to maximizing the number of “trained” partners and staff by encouraging training through partner and staff incentives.
- Engagement-based training: A training program that incorporates teaching (the highest level of knowledge mastery) into the program. This is achieved by creating an environment where members can engage the community to share knowledge both formally (teaching a course) and informally (participating in blogs, forums and social media)
- Scorecard driven training: Provides channel partners with a tool that identifies areas within their organization that can achieve higher levels of performance through training. This enables partners to prioritize training within their organization for maximum impact.
Training is KEY!
Take a look at your organization's unique training program. Where do you land on the evolutionary climb to greater success?
Remember, not all training programs are created equal and they all have different levels of magnitude of effectiveness. If you are interested in predicting how your channel partner will perform, rely on training. Your staff will become more efficient while increasing productivity, revenue and profits.
Start the discussion