Content Provider Training
Right Tool For The Job
Clients Love Us
Awards & Recognitions
Client Case Studies
R & D
< Back to support page
LMS users who teach instructor-led courses should be assigned the Instructor role. This key Role allows them to manage course enrollments, interest lists, classroom offerings and rosters. Instructors can also assist portal administrators in managing classroom training facilities, rooms and equipment within their assigned organization.
How to Add an Instructor
Portal Administrators have the right to assign the Instructor Role.
From the left navigation menu, select
, or by editing the target user's account and manually adding the Role to a user’s new or existing profile.
form, provide information about the instructor. Asterisks (*) in the form indicate a required field.
: Use the
Select a User
picker to search for and select the designated user.
: Use the
picker to assign physical and virtual facilities from which the selected user will teach.
: Designating the languages in which the instructor can teach. Note: Instructors can only be assigned courses that match these language selections.
: These are optional internal note fields that are only visible to portal administrators.
: Use the
picker to assign the classes that the instructor will teach.
: Internal notes fields here are seen by portal administrators only.
. You will then be taken to the user's account and the Instructor Profile tab.
On an instructor’s account, there is an additional “Instructor Profile” tab on which you can manage all of their instructor-related information. Portal Administrators will find this tab when they are editing the user account. Instructors must use the My Learning Center to select
Users => Search Instructors
in order to view/edit their own or others’ Instructor Profile.
Instructor Access Rights
When viewing the linked
, you can see that having the Instructor role opens access to LMS configuration options and administrative tools focused on the following areas:
– View, approve or deny queued course enrollment, interest list and user self-registration requests for organizations and employees you oversee.
– View and administer training program Goals (Certifications and/or Curriculums) for students you manage.
– View courses made available to your assigned organization. Use the Enroll Others feature to assign coursework to students individually or in batches.
- Schedule when and where existing Classroom or Virtual Classroom courses are offered. Enroll users in Offerings, and after the class, manage Rosters to record attendance for students’ training history.
– Define user visibility and access to classroom course offerings.
– Create and manage the set of Facilities servicing the instructor's designated training areas. Designate rooms and equipment to facilities, which are then reserved when a classroom Offering is scheduled.
– Use demand forecasting and track recorded interests in courses or offerings that may not be available to certain sets of users in your LMS. This feature could help determine when and where to create offerings.
– Report on course consumption, as well as compliance-driven enrollment and completion activity.
– View the catalog of documents, media files and links designed to support students throughout the learning process.
– Employ the “View Home Page” option to navigate the LMS from the viewpoint of any user you oversee as an Instructor. You can also transact activities on another user’s behalf (such as launching a course, running a report, viewing subordinate employees, and checking pending approvals) in order to troubleshoot issues and provide first-line user support.
– View an employee’s basic account information, User Group assignments and Training History on demand.
– Manage Instructor Profiles to include the list of courses these users are authorized to teach and the facilities they use most often.
Along with Portal Administrators and Administrators, Instructors have the ability to override some enrollment conflicts, including those for unmet prerequisites.
Examples of these administrative views and functions have been provided below. Please click on the linked titles to find more information on these topics.
Manage Approvals for Course Enrollment and Interest Lists
Create and Manage Classroom Course Offerings
Process Rosters for Classroom Offerings
In summary, the Instructor role allows a user to manage many student, classroom and facility-related functions for the organization for which they have responsibility.
However, the scope of access for this role varies greatly depending on the task being performed. For instance, an Instructor with a profile tied to a location will find that approvals, course search and user search are all tied to their Location. Facility management, interest approval and resource search are tied to the Business Unit level. Offerings, instructors and some reports can be searched across the entire Company, but can only be edited with user, course or facility information tied to the Business Unit/Location/Locale assigned to said Instructor. It is important that your instructors understand how the LMS works and which duties they are authorized to perform.